Cryptonet is an open distributed research lab. We work with applied cryptography to address research questions and protocol opportunities that can form the foundations of new capabilities and major improvements across the emerging Web3 stack. The group was founded to drive the creation of Filecoin. We now seek to facilitate the development and incorporation of cryptographic tools to increase security, privacy, and power of decentralised collaborative networks more broadly.
We have broad capability in both research and engineering, giving us a distinctive capability to investigate, design, analyze and implement novel and complex protocol innovations. We target research-heavy protocol opportunities, within Filecoin and beyond.
Cryptonet is a Protocol Labs, Inc. initiative.
We aim to become a reference institution for Web3 research, helping to define the research agenda as well as investigate high-impact questions. Some of our areas of interest include:
- Cryptography: Filecoin and other Web 3.0 technologies rely on the performance and security of cryptographic primitives. Our endeavours include: Proof of Replication, Proof of SpaceTime, SNARKs, Vector Commitments, Verifiable Delay Functions, Verifiable Databases, Threshold Cryptography.
- Web 3.0: Our projects contribute improvements to the application layer of the Filecoin protocol and its components, including mining, repair, security, and storage. We expect these improvements to generalized to other Web 3.0 technologies.
- Blockchain: We are working to advance the state of the art of generic blockchain constructions.
Building on our research findings, we aim to design and implement new building blocks for Web3 systems.
- Discover research-heavy opportunities in the web3 ecosystem,
- Identify solutions to protocol challenges,
- Bootstrap project teams to deploy these solutions,
- Enable and support others in their pursuit of protocol improvement, and thus
- Deliver new capabilities to Filecoin and Web3 more broadly.
Our protocol endeavours feed back into the research agenda
We look forward to building decentralised system with you, whoever and wherever you are.