- Problem Description
- Usage of threshold crypto now
- Problems with current constructions
- Weight compatible
- Compatible with existing schemes
- ✅ Holy Grail DKG Requirements
- 🎓2. Better DKG & SoK on DKGs
- 🔨 DKG in SNARK
Usage of threshold crypto now
Threshold crypto is attracting a lot of attention currently from a practical perspective:
- Axelar Network is a blockchain bridge project that uses threshold network as a gatekeeper of tokens between different platforms
- Anoma Network is a blockhain that uses threshold network to prevent front running attacks
- ConsensusLab is looking to use DKGs to pinpoints state of Filecoin on other blockchains (BTC)
- ConsensusLab is looking to use DKGs to checkpoint subnet's state into parents subnets
- CryptoNetLab is looking at generalized threshold network to allow smart contract to "have a secret" that can unlock many use cases (data management is one)
Problems with current constructions
For all these use cases, ideally we need large set of participants: the larger the size is the more trust we can have in the system. However, doing a DKG (the setup phase) over a large set of participants is unpractical (because of complexity)
In a permission-less environment participants are associated with weights, and the idea is to randomly sample participants such that the totality of the selected nodes have a weight superior to a given threshold
Doing weighted DKG is extremely impracticable as we usually "emulate" as many nodes as one's weight, which comes back to the scalability issue.
Note: Ferveo from Anoma is maybe the first DKG that tackles this nicely. It is still open questions for us whether it is practicable and the trade offs they are making.
Compatible with existing schemes
Ideally we want DKGs to be compatible with schemes that are already existing on other blockchains so interopability is given. The natural use case for DKGs is threshold signature: if the signature is compatible with well known schemes then the network can act as a participant easily in these other blockchains
Many more criterias defined in the Holy Grail DKG page.
✅ Holy Grail DKG Requirements
Current definitions in the Holy Grail DKG - in collaboration with ConsensusLab as well.
Status: Final stages of reviewing - done
🎓2. Better DKG & SoK on DKGs
Collaboration with Aniket Kate.
It's about making a better DKG that fits the holy grail DKG properties as much as possible.
- Setup concrete goals with Aniket & his students
- (Potential) Work with him on SoK DKG
- (Potential) Better DKG design drafted up and being in implementation (collaboration)
🔨 DKG in SNARK
Implementing a full DKG in a SNARK. There are multiple steps
See tracking document
- Basic Implementation of DKG in SNARK done
- Benchmark on how far can it go
- List of optimizations to apply to make it further