Storage Metrics DAO is a collective that scans decentralized storage networks (like IPFS and Filecoin) and provides on-chain metrics on storage services that are accurate and reliable, so that:
- Users can reliable choose protocols and service providers
- Storage providers can be rewarded for improving their services
Note: there is no plans for tokens in the DAO.
On-chain Metric thesis
Our mission is to improve the quality of decentralized storage with our “on-chain metric thesis”:
If we have on-chain metrics for storage providers that are realistic and objective, then we can reward providers based on these metrics and it will be rational for them to optimize towards these metrics.
What does it do?
Storage Metrics DAO is a collective of “auditor” nodes that use (or scan) the network and report summarized statistics on-chain.
- There is a network of auditor nodes whose role is to scan or simply use the storage providers and collect their metrics
- There is an incentive mechanism for auditors to report true metrics
- There is a system to aggregate the metrics on-chain
- There is an incentive given to storage provider when they provide good services
- Every auditor will have their own custom software to gather metrics
- Coordinate existing reputation providers to agree to report metrics
- Testnet v0.0: Build scanning tools
- First step is building scanning tool for the network in order to be ready to set up a network of auditors that is empowered to test metrics
- Testnet v0.1: Initial Consortium
- Open call for partners that already scan Filecoin to join the Initial Consortium
- Create an on-chain reputation system for storage services (starting with retrieval)
- Testnet v0.2: Open to all
- Allow any IPFS-node to become a storage provider that can be scored
- Testnet v0.3: Incentives for Retrieval Providers (Retrieval Incentives)
- Create a retrieval reward program for storage providers
- Find sponsor for first round of retrieval
- Testnet v0.4: Incentivized Auditors (Decentralized Auditors)
- Anyone can become an auditors
- Auditors are rewarded for their service
- DAO Launch v1
- Note no tokens are envisioned for this project
Researchers: @Luca , @Irene , @Nicola
We are looking for partners and auditor nodes, reach out!